Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Water hardness

I was trying to find out whether I would benefit from using a water softener with my dishwasher.

First, I contacted my local water supply and they pointed me to this report:
https://www.roseville.ca.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_7964838/File/Government/Departments/Environmental%20Utilities/At%20your%20service/Water%20supply/Water%20quality%20reports/EU_WaterQualityReport_2018_DigitalVersion.pdf
The report has a line that says the water hardness is 24 ppm if coming from the lake or 90-250 ppm if coming from groundwater. Based on my ZIP code, I was also told that my area is serviced entirely from the lake.

However, the appliances measure water hardness in degrees of hardness.

So I found this calculator:
https://www.lenntech.com/calculators/hardness/hardness.htm
I plug in 24 ppm and get 1.35 German degrees of hardness.

Over to the dishwasher manual and I see a line:
"Water supplies with a hardness level higher than 4 gr/gal (4 °d) needs to be softened."
Going by that it looks like I would not benefit from having or using a water softener.

No comments:

Post a Comment